ClarinetFest® 2019: 5 Southern Delicacies to Try in Knoxville
by Jenny Maclay
It’s no secret that the south is known for its rich and delicious comfort food. Here are a few southern delicacies (recommended by a native Tennessean) you should try during your time in Knoxville at ClarinetFest:
- Barbecue. Each southern region has a unique version of its preferred barbecue sauce, so try as many as you can while you’re in the area.
- Cornbread. If it’s sweet, it ain’t southern! True southern cornbread is more savory than its sweeter northern counterpart.
- Biscuits and gravy. Start your day with a plate full of homemade biscuits and gravy for a real southern treat.
- Sweet tea. This is my personal favorite! When I’m back home, I drink sweet tea every day. It’s extra refreshing during the hot and humid summers. (Just don’t ask how much sugar is in a glass – you don’t want to know).
- Fried pickles. We love frying things in the south, especially pickles. For the more adventurous gastronomes, you can also try fried Twinkies, fried Oreos, and even fried butter.