The 2022 Composition Competition is generously sponsored by
The ICA seeks new works featuring the soprano clarinet (Bb or A), 5-15 minutes in length. Compositions may be for clarinet and piano, or other solo genres such as unaccompanied clarinet, or clarinet with electronic media. To be eligible, compositions must have been completed between January 2019 and present and must have not been performed previously at ClarinetFest®.
The deadline is December 20, 2021; the winner will receive a $1,000 prize and a performance of the work at ClarinetFest® 2022. For details, please contact Kelly Johnson, coordinator (email@example.com).
2022 Composition Competition
Kelly Johnson, Coordinator, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Eligibility: The competition is open to composers, clarinetists and musicians who desire to further the repertoire of clarinet music with an original composition.
- Items must be received by December 20, 2021.
- The application form is found at https://forms.gle/
- Scores must be submitted electronically (PDF only) WITHOUT the applicant’s name or any identifying information on the score or filename.
- A midi recording in .mp3 format or a clarinet recording in .mp3 format must be submitted WITHOUT the applicant’s name or any identifying information on the filename.
- Scores and recordings should be submitted using the Google Form.
- ALRY Publications has generously sponsored this year’s composition contest to enable participation by all interested composers without an entry fee.
- The 2022 Composition Competition call is for a work 5-15 minutes in length, scored for B-flat or A clarinet and piano, although submissions are also welcome featuring clarinet, such as unaccompanied soprano clarinet, electronic media, or others. Compositions that have not received a performance at ClarinetFest® that were completed between January 2019 and present are eligible for submission.
The New Music Committee will conduct the judging of the scores and parts. The winner will be notified via email by March 15, 2022. The winning composition will receive a world premiere performance during ClarinetFest® 2022 in Reno/Lake Tahoe Nevada, USA, June 29-July 3. Travel expenses will be the responsibility of the winner. Free registration at ClarinetFest® 2022 will be provided. Past first prize winners are not allowed to compete. All contestants will accept the decision of the judges as final. The ICA will provide the clarinetist for the premiere performance.
All scores and parts will become the property of the ICA Research Center at the University of Maryland Performing Arts Library and will not be returned. In addition, the winning work will be included in the ICA New Music Database.
$1,000 USD Prize
The International Clarinet Association assumes no tax liability that competition winners may incur through receiving prize money. Individuals are responsible for investigating applicable tax laws and reporting prize winnings to requisite government agencies. In accordance with the U.S. tax law, a 30% tax on the total amount of prize winnings will be withheld and submitted to the United States Internal Revenue Service if the winner is a non-U.S. resident. Prize money will be given in the form of a U.S. check or an electronic PayPal transfer. PayPal transfers must be requested prior to the final awards ceremony on the final evening of ClarinetFest®.