2021 Young Artist Competition
Start an Application (select 2021 Young Artist Competition on the left-hand dropdown menu after clicking the link)
Eligibility: The competition is open to all clarinetists who shall not have reached the age of 27 by January 1, 2022 (i.e., born on or after January 1, 1995) and are not currently under major artist management.
Application: Deadline for the submission of application materials is May 15, 2021. Watch this space for registration information.
Young Artist Competition Coordinator: Diane Barger – firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Application Fee: $75 USD. All applicants must be members of the ICA and submit the Competition Application. Non-members wishing to apply may join the ICA and become a member. Join now! The application fee is non-refundable.
2. Recording Instructions: Please provide a high-quality audio recording containing all repertoire in the exact order as listed in the competition announcement. Due to COVID restrictions, applicants may elect to record all repertoire without piano accompaniment in order to ensure the safety of the applicant. The ICA assures that the judging will be based solely on the performance of the clarinetist. Any published edition is acceptable. Each selection/movement should be listed as a single track, and should not contain your name. Please be aware that the quality of the recording will influence the judges. Recordings should not be edited and only continuous performances of entire works or movements are allowed.
Introduction et Rondo, Op. 72, for clarinet and piano – Charles-Marie Widor (Heugel/Leduc)
Sonata for solo clarinet, Mvt. 1, Lyrique and Mvt. 4, Final – Ida Gotkovsky (Molenaar)
BlingBling for clarinet and piano (all) – Scott McAllister (www.lydmusic.com)
3. A photocopy of the contestant’s driver’s license, passport or birth certificate as proof of age.
4. Both the private teacher, if any, and the contestant attest in a separate written and signed statement that the recording is the playing of the contestant and has not been edited.
5. A summer mailing address, telephone number and email address should be provided. Email is the preferred means of communication. Please check your email regularly as this is how you will be contacted.
Judging of recordings will be conducted with no knowledge of the contestant. Do not include any identification on your audio files. There should be no speaking on the recording such as announcing of compositions. Judging will be by recorded audition. Notification will be sent by June 15, 2021. Memorization is not required. All contestants will accept the decision of the judges as final. Past first-prize winners are not eligible to compete. All recordings will become the property of the ICA.
All recordings will become the property of the ICA.
First prize – $2,500 USD and a professional clarinet to be announced
Second prize – $1,000 USD
Third prize – $500 USD
The Young Artist Competition is generously sponsored in part by Backun, The Buffet Group, Henri Selmer Paris, Yamaha Corporation, and Royal Musical Instruments