2023 Young Artist Competition
Eligibility: Competition participants must not have reached the age of 27 as of June 30, 2023.
Application: Deadline for the submission of application materials is April 1, 2023. Watch this space for registration information.
Young Artist Competition Coordinator: Catherine Wood – firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Application Fee: $35 USD. All applicants must be members of the ICA and submit the Competition Application. Non-members wishing to apply may join the ICA and become a member. Join now! The application fee is non-refundable.
2. Recording Instructions: Please provide a high-quality audio recording containing all repertoire in the exact order as listed in the competition announcement. Any published edition of the Brahms is acceptable. Each selection should be listed as a single track, and should not contain your name. Please be aware that the quality of the recording will influence the judges. Recordings should not be edited and only continuous performances of entire works or movements are allowed. Piano accompaniment is required for the Brahms and Coleman works.
Blush for solo clarinet – Jean Ahn
Sonata, Op. 128 (mvts 1 & 2) – Mario Castelnuovo-Tedesco
Concerto No. 1, Op. 26 (3rd mvt only) – Louis Spohr
3. A photocopy of the contestant’s driver’s license, passport or birth certificate as proof of age.
4. Both the private teacher, if any, and the contestant attest in a separate written and signed statement that the recording is the playing of the contestant and has not been edited.
5. A summer mailing address, telephone number and email address should be provided. Email is the preferred means of communication. Please check your email regularly as this is how you will be contacted.
Judging of recordings will be conducted with no knowledge of the contestant. Do not include any identification on your audio files. There should be no speaking on the recording such as announcing of compositions.
Preliminary judging will be by recorded audition. Finalists will be chosen by the committee. Notification will be sent by May 1, 2023. The final round will be held at ClarinetFest® 2023, in Denver, Colorado, July 5-9, 2023. Finalists will receive a waiver of registration fees for ClarinetFest® 2023. Travel and other expenses will be the responsibility of the contestant. Visa and travel arrangements are solely the responsibility of the contestant.
Repertoire for the final round of competition will consist of selections from the works listed above. A pianist will be provided for competitors in the final round. Memorization is not required. All contestants will accept the decision of the judges as final. Past first-prize winners are not eligible to compete.
All recordings will become the property of the ICA.
First prize – $2,500 USD and a professional clarinet to be announced. The ICA will also present the first prize winner in a performance at its 2024 conference.
Second prize – $1,000 USD
Third prize – $500 USD
The Young Artist Competition is generously sponsored in part by Backun, The Buffet Group, Henri Selmer Paris, and Royal Musical Instruments