Physical, mental, and emotional health all contribute to musicians’ abilities to perform at their best. This collection of resources will provide the clarinet community with a starting point to find information that may help improve their overall wellbeing. Topics include exercise, meditation, hearing health, vocal health, and more.
Centers for Disease Control and National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health
- Currently, the World Health Organization estimates that 1.1 billion young people are at risk for Noise-Induced Hearing Loss (NIHL) due to unsafe listening practices. The occupational health risks identified with music-making may make musicians more susceptible to NIHL. Maintaining hearing health should be a chief concern among musicians because damage to the hearing mechanism can become permanent. This NIOSH document presents recommendations for musicians that may be appropriate in some contexts.
Hearing Conservation Guidance for the Performing Arts
- Sound exposure is inevitable in our society. In response, the British Association for Performing Arts Medicine has developed a series of guidelines for conserving hearing that apply to a variety of musical contexts.
Online Hearing Test and Audiogram Printout
- This online hearing test offers a convenient way to check hearing over time, allowing users to detect possible hearing loss or a degradation more regularly without the need to consult an audiologist. Although this website has not been designed as a substitute for routine proper hearing tests given by audiologists, it can provide valuable information regarding hearing health.
National Center for Voice & Speech
- As professional voice users, music educators and applied clarinet instructors may experience vocal problems (i.e., hoarseness or vocal fatigue) due to the demands of their work. The National Center for Voice & Speech has a series of resources for professional voice users that may be beneficial to help prevent or respond to vocal health concerns.
Exercise and Physical Wellness
- Flutist and Personal Trainer, Angela McCuiston has developed exercise resources that are specifically geared toward musicians.
Yoga for All Musicians
- Grounded in ancient yoga tradition and modern anatomical science, Yoga for All Musicians provides accessible classes for all musicians regardless of experience.
- MindfulCommunications is a Public Benefit Corporation. We are dedicated to sharing the gifts of mindfulness through content, training, courses, and directories—helping people enjoy better health, foster more caring relationships, and cultivate a more compassionate society. Mindful is the voice of the emerging mindfulness community. We work to provide insight, information, and inspiration to help us all live more mindfully.
- Beginner meditations designed to decrease stress and increase focus with our simple guided meditation for beginners.
- Meditation Oasis has been bringing meditation to thousands of people worldwide since 2002. Our meditation course and guided meditations are based on universal principles that can be discovered in many traditions and practices. They help you to access a universal human ability — the ability of the mind to be at ease. Our meditation style is compatible with any culture, philosophy, beliefs or lifestyle. Our guided meditations are recommended by doctors and therapists and are used in schools, businesses, hospitals, clinics, military settings, spas and homes all over the world.
- According to Headspace, its mission is to improve the health and happiness of the world. This meditation app and collection of blogs is an excellent resource whether you are an experienced meditator or are interested in meditating for the first time.
Ten Percent Happier
- This series of resources includes a book, podcast, newsletter, and app all dedicated to the practice of meditation.
Healthy Eating Help Guide
- It is important for musicians to fuel their bodies well for music performance. Food plays an important role in either supporting or undermining physical and mental health. For anyone with questions, this Healthy Eating Guide can help people learn about nutrition, making better choices, and how to maintain healthy eating habits while still enjoying food and life.
Computer Workstations eTool
- This tool illustrates simple, inexpensive principles that will help to create a safe and comfortable computer workstation. These basic ergonomic goals may help individuals perform computer-related tasks more comfortably while reducing risk for injury.