2021 Orchestral Audition Competition
Start an Application (Apply on Acceptd; select 2021 Orchestral Audition Competition on the left-hand dropdown menu after clicking the link)
Eligibility: The competition is open to clarinetists of all ages who are not employed full-time as salaried members of a professional symphony orchestra.
Application: Application: Deadline for the submission of application and other application materials is May 15, 2021. Watch this space for registration information.
Orchestral Audition Competition Coordinator: Vanguel Tangarov
1. Application Fee: $75 USD. All applicants must be members of the ICA and submit the Competition Application. Non-members wishing to apply may join the ICA and become a member. Join now! The application fee is non-refundable.
2. Recording Instructions: Please provide a high-quality audio recording containing the following excerpts, in the exact order. Each selection/movement should be listed as a single track, and should not contain your name. Please be aware that the quality of the recording will influence the judges. Recordings should not be edited and only continuous performances of entire works or movements are allowed.
Mozart: Concerto, K. 622, Movement I, exposition only – unaccompanied
- Bartók: Suite from “The Miraculous Mandarin,” Rehearsal (13) to 5 measures after Rehearsal (15), and Rehearsal (22) to (25)
- Borodin: Polovetsian Dances, No. 17: Allegro vivo after (B) to 6 measures after (D)
- Mendelssohn: Scherzo from “A Midsummer Night’s Dream”, Beginning to (B)
- Puccini: Tosca, Act III; (11) to (12)
- Respighi: Pines of Rome: Movement III, (13) to (15)
- Sibelius: Symphony No. 1, Movement I: mm. 1-32; Movement III: 5 measures after (E) to 6 measures after (G)
- Rimsky-Korsakov: Scheherezade – Mvt. II, cadenzas from (F) to (G); Mvt. III, opening until (A); Mvt. IV, (I) to (K)
- Stravinsky: Firebird Suite (1919): Variation de L’Oiseau de Feu, Rehearsal (9) to 5 measures after (18)
- Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique, Movement V: Rehearsal (63) to 4 measures after (64)
- Strauss: Till Eulenspiegel’s Merry Pranks: Rehearsal (30) to (32) and Rehearsal (40) to 9 measures after (40)
A separate written and signed statement, attesting the recording is the playing of the contestant and has not been edited.
A permanent address, telephone number and e-mail address should be provided.
Judging of recordings will be conducted with no knowledge of the contestants. Do not include any identification on your audio files. There should be no speaking on the recording, such as announcing of compositions. Judging will be by taped audition. Notification will be sent by June 15, 2021. Past first-prize winners are not eligible to compete. All contestants will accept the decision of the judges as final. All recordings will become the property of the ICA and will not be returned.
$1000.00 and a clarinet mouthpiece to be announced
$500.00 and a clarinet mouthpiece to be announced
The International Clarinet Association assumes no tax liability that competition winners may incur through receiving prize money. Individuals are responsible for investigating applicable tax laws and reporting prize winnings to requisite government agencies. In accordance with U.S. tax law, a 30% tax on the total amount of prize winnings will be withheld and submitted to the United States Internal Revenue Service if the winner is a non-U.S. resident. Prize money will be given in the form of a U.S. check or an electronic PayPal transfer. PayPal transfers must be requested prior to the final awards ceremony on the final evening of ClarinetFest®.