2020 Orchestral Audition Competition
To apply, please visit https://app.getacceptd.com/ica
Start an Application (select 2020 Orchestral Audition Competition on the left-hand dropdown menu after clicking the link)
Download Announcement (pdf)
Eligibility: The competition is open to clarinetists of all ages who are not employed full-time as salaried members of a professional symphony orchestra.
Application: Deadline for the submission of application and other application materials is Monday, April 15, 2020. Watch this space for registration information.
Orchestral Audition Competition Coordinator: Todd Waldecker
1. Application Fee: $75 USD. All applicants must be members of the ICA and submit the Competition Application. Non-members wishing to apply may join the ICA and become a member. Join now! The application fee is non-refundable.
2. Recording Instructions: Please provide a high-quality recording containing the following excerpts, in the exact order. Each selection/movement should be listed as a single track, and should not contain your name. Please be aware that the quality of the recording will influence the judges. Recordings should not be edited and only continuous performances of entire works or movements are allowed.
Mozart: Concerto, K. 622, Movement I, exposition only – unaccompanied
- Beethoven: Symphony No. 6 – Mvt. 1, mm. 418-438 and 474-492; Mvt. II, mm.68-77; Mvt. III, mm. 114-133
- Brahms: Symphony No. 3 – Mvt. 1, mm. 36-46; Mvt. II, beginning to (B)
- Mendelssohn: Midsummer Night’s Dream – Scherzo; beginning to (B)
- Prokofiev: Peter and the Wolf – rehearsal (20) (Nervoso) until (21)
- Rachmaninoff: Symphony No. 2 – Mvt. III, Beginning to (47)
- Ravel: Daphnis and Chloé Suite No. 2 – Beginning to three measures after (157); three measures after (212) to end
- Respighi: Pines of Rome – Mvmt. III; one measure before (13) until (15)
- Rimsky-Korsakov: Scheherezade – Mvt. II, cadenzas from (F) to (G); Mvt. III, opening until (A); Mvt. IV, (I) to (K)
3. A separate written and signed statement, attesting the recording is the playing of the contestant and has not been edited.
4. A permanent address, telephone number and e-mail address should be provided.
Judging of recordings will be conducted with no knowledge of the contestants. Do not include any identification on your audio files. There should be no speaking on the recording, such as announcing of compositions. Preliminary judging will be held by recorded audition. Semifinalists will be chosen by committee and notified via email by Wednesday, May 1, 2020. Semifinal and final rounds will be at ClarinetFest® 2020, to be held in Reno/Lake Tahoe, Nevada, from June 24-28, 2020. Repertoire for the Semifinal and Final rounds will consist of the excerpts listed above. Past first-prize winners are not eligible to compete. All contestants will accept the decision of the judges as final. All semifinalists will receive free registration at ClarinetFest® 2020. Travel expenses will be the responsibility of the contestant. All recordings will become the property of the ICA and will not be returned.
$1000.00 and a Chedeville clarinet mouthpiece
$500.00 and a Chedeville clarinet mouthpiece
The International Clarinet Association assumes no tax liability that competition winners may incur through receiving prize money. Individuals are responsible for investigating applicable tax laws and reporting prize winnings to requisite government agencies. In accordance with U.S. tax law, a 30% tax on the total amount of prize winnings will be withheld and submitted to the United States Internal Revenue Service if the winner is a non-U.S. resident. Prize money will be given in the form of a U.S. check or an electronic PayPal transfer. PayPal transfers must be requested prior to the final awards ceremony on the final evening of ClarinetFest®.