Why You Should Use Social Media To Boost Your Music Career
By Jenny Maclay (www.jennyclarinet.com)
An overwhelming majority of the world’s population enjoys using social media to connect with family, friends, and strangers alike. Social media can also be a powerful tool to establish your reputation and promote your music. Here are a few reasons why musicians should consider using which social media to help boost their careers:
- It helps develop your niche. We are blessed to have a large international community of clarinetists, but it can be difficult to distinguish yourself from the crowd. You can use social media to showcase your individual talents and share your musical and individual personality.
- It can be used for personal promotion. Half the fun of working hard on performances, projects, and other endeavors is sharing them with the world! Social media is an interactive platform to share your work with others, and you should be taking advantage of the free self-promotion.
- You can network with musicians from around the world. Networking has never been easier than with social media. Participate in forums, discussion boards, and threads to virtually “meet” other musicians from around the world. Advancements in technology even allow collaboration on many projects without ever having to leave your home.
- You control the narrative and content. If you play in a group, it can be hard to balance your individual persona with that of your group. You control what you post on social media, and this can help curate your individual brand. (More on personal branding in a future installment to this series!)
- It’s free and has a global reach. Gone are the olden days of expensive marketing campaigns which might only reach a small geographical area. You can connect with your target audience on an international level.
- You can stay connected to musical news and current events. In addition to posting targeted content, you can also follow similar pages so you can see the latest industry news, job postings, and projects.
Stay tuned for part two of this series, in which I share advice to attract more traffic to your social media channels.