2024 High School Solo Competition
Eligibility: Competition participants must be 18 years old or younger as of June 30, 2024.
Application: Deadline for the submission of application and other application materials is: April 1, 2024.
High School Solo Competition Coordinator: Jesse Krebs – [email protected]
To submit a proposal, send the following:
1. Application Fee: $35 USD. All applicants must be members of the ICA and submit the Competition Application. Non-members wishing to apply may join the ICA and become a member. Join now! The application fee is non-refundable. The fee can be paid at this link: https://beeid.org/3da4ae7e1dc0
2. Recording Instructions: Instructions: Please provide a high-quality audio recording (no video allowed) containing all repertoire in the exact order as listed in the competition announcement. Repertoire must be recorded with accompaniment when appropriate.
Any published edition is acceptable. Each selection or movement of a larger work should be listed as a single track and should not contain your name. Please be aware that the quality of the audio recording will influence the judges. Recordings should not be edited and only continuous performances of entire works or movements are allowed.
Charles Villiers Stanford: Three Intermezzi, Op. 13 (any edition acceptable)
Amanda Harberg: Hall of Ghosts for Solo Clarinet (available from Presser at https://presser.com/114-42295-hall-of-ghosts.html
3. A photocopy of the contestant’s driver’s license, passport or birth certificate as proof of age.
4. Both the private teacher, if any, and the contestant attest, in a separate written and signed statement that the recording is the playing of the contestant and has not been edited.
5. A summer address, telephone number and e-mail address should be provided. E-mail is the preferred means of communication. Please check your email regularly as this is how you will be contacted.
Judging of recordings will be conducted with no knowledge of the contestant. Do not include any identification on your audio files. There should be no speaking on the recording such as announcing of compositions.
Preliminary judging will be by recorded audition. Finalists will be chosen by the committee. Notification will be sent by May 1, 2023. The final round will be held at ClarinetFest® 2024, in Dublin, Ireland, July 31-August 4, 2024. Finalists will receive a waiver of registration fees for ClarinetFest® 2024. Travel and other expenses will be the responsibility of the contestant. Visa and travel arrangements are solely the responsibility of the contestant.
Repertoire for the final round of competition will consist of selections from the works listed above. A pianist will be provided for competitors in the final round. Memorization is not required. All contestants will accept the decision of the judges as final. Past first-prize winners are not eligible to compete.
All recordings will become the property of the ICA.
First Prize: $1,000 U.S. and a professional clarinet to be announced
Second Prize: $750 U.S.
Third Prize: $500 U.S.
The International Clarinet Association assumes no tax liability that competition winners may incur through receiving prize money. Individuals are responsible for investigating applicable tax laws and reporting prize winnings to requisite government agencies. In accordance with U.S. tax law, a 30% tax on the total amount of prize winnings will be withheld and submitted to the United States Internal Revenue Service if the winner is a non-U.S. resident. Prize money will be given in the form of a U.S. check or an electronic PayPal transfer. PayPal transfers must be requested prior to the final awards ceremony on the final evening of ClarinetFest®.