2021 High School Solo Competition
Start an Application (select 2021 High School Competition on left-hand dropdown menu after clicking the link)
Eligibility: Competition participants must be 18 years old or younger as of June 30, 2021.
Application: Deadline for the submission of application and other application materials is: May 15, 2021.
High School Solo Competition Coordinator: Kimberly Cole Luevano – Kimberly.Luevano@unt.edu
To submit a proposal, send the following:
1. Application Fee: $75 USD. All applicants must be members of the I.C.A. and submit the Competition Application. Non-members wishing to apply may join the I.C.A. and become a member. Join now! The application fee is non-refundable.
2. Recording Instructions: Please provide a high-quality audio recording containing the following repertoire in the exact order listed. Due to COVID restrictions, applicants may elect to record all repertoire without piano accompaniment in order to ensure the safety of the applicant. The ICA assures that the judging will be based solely on the performance of the clarinetist. Any published edition is acceptable. Each selection/movement should be listed as a single track, and should not contain your name. Please be aware that the quality of the recording will influence the judges. Recordings should not be edited and only continuous performances of entire works or movements are allowed.
Set for Clarinet by Katherine Hoover (movements 2 and 3 only)
Sonatina, Op. 29 by Malcolm Arnold
3. A photocopy of the contestant’s driver’s license, passport or birth certificate as proof of age.
4. Both the private teacher, if any, and the contestant attest, in a separate written and signed statement that the recording is the playing of the contestant and has not been edited.
5. A summer address, telephone number and e-mail address should be provided. E-mail is the preferred means of communication. Please check your email regularly as this is how you will be contacted.
Judging of recordings will be conducted with no knowledge of the
contestant. Do not include any identification on your audio files. There
should be no speaking on the recording, such as announcing of
compositions. Judging will be by taped audition. Notification will be sent by June 15, 2021. All contestants will accept the decision of the judges as final. All recordings will become the property of the ICA and will not be returned.
Past first-prize winners are not eligible to compete. All contestants will accept the decision of the judges as final. All recordings will become the property of the ICA and will not be returned.
First Prize: $1,000 U.S.
Second Prize: $750 U.S.
Third Prize: $500 U.S.
The International Clarinet Association assumes no tax liability that competition winners may incur through receiving prize money. Individuals are responsible for investigating applicable tax laws and reporting prize winnings to requisite government agencies. In accordance with U.S. tax law, a 30% tax on the total amount of prize winnings will be withheld and submitted to the United States Internal Revenue Service if the winner is a non-U.S. resident. Prize money will be given in the form of a U.S. check or an electronic PayPal transfer. PayPal transfers must be requested prior to the final awards ceremony on the final evening of ClarinetFest®.