ICA Plays On! 2021: January 28-31, 2021
The ICA is excited to share our second online conference called ICA Plays On! This online event will be held January 28-31, 2021. ICA Plays On! 2021 is open to ICA members and has a registration fee of $10 for adults members and $5 for students, seniors, and New Horizons members. Those who register will have exclusive access to all presentations and performances as they are premiered, access to the virtual exhibitor hall, the opportunity to participate in warm-up sessions and workshops, and enter to win fantastic prizes!
You can see presentations from ICA Plays On! 2020 on our YouTube channel, www.youtube.com/internationalclarinetassociation.
ICA Plays On! 2021 Tentative Event Schedule (All events in EST)
January 28 – Reeds, Repairs, and More!
- 10 am – Event Kickoff!
- 11 am – Video Premiere – Yoga for Musicians with Dan Gainey
- 12 pm – Video Premiere – Vintage Reed Adventures – Shannon Thompson
- 2 pm – Video Premiere – Close Up Repairs with Miles DeCastro
- 3 pm – Video Premiere – Basic Repairs with Melanie Wong and Jonathan Copeland
- 5 pm – Youth Committee Panel: Connecting the Pre-Professional Clarinetist to Digital Clarinet Resources in the 21st Century: Approaches, Ideas, and Discussion
- 7 pm – Video Premiere – Never Have a Bad Reed Again! How to Make and Adjust Your Own Clarinet Reeds – Laura Armstrong
- 8 pm – Video Premiere – Felix Mendelssohn, Concertstucke Nos. 1 and 2 for two Bb clarinets – Stas Chernyshev, Dr. Andrea Vos-Rochefort, clarinets and Daniel Anastasio, piano
January 29 – Clarinet Classics
- 10 am – Video Premiere – Johannes Brahms, Trio in A Minor, Op. 114 – The Goodwin Avenue Trio
- 11 am – Video Premiere – Ludwig van Beethoven, Symphony No. 1 (Arranged for 3 clarinets and 2 basset horns) – Thomas Carroll
- 12 pm – Lecture/Demo: Modern Editions and Perspectives on the Mozart Clarinet Concerto with Jonathan Cohler, John Bruce Yeh, and Nicolas Cox
- 2 pm – Lecture: The Mozart Concerto from a Historical Perspective: How to Inform your Interpretation as a Modern Clarinetist with Marie Ross
- 3:30 pm – Video Premiere – W.A. Mozart, Clarinet Concerto Mvts. 1 and 2 – Jhoan Sebastian Rubiano Saavedra
- 4 pm – Lecture/Demo – Orchestral Excerpt Tips and Tricks with Reinhard Wieser
- 6 pm – Video Premiere – Ludwig van Beethoven, Trio in B-flat Major Op. 11 for Piano, Clarinet, and Cello (1797) – Katrina Clements, clarinet; Elena Denny, cello; Wayne Ching, piano
- 8 pm – Video Premiere – Crossing the Theory Break – David Cook
January 30 – Clarinet Fun-damentals
- 9 am – Video Premiere – Aurelio Magnani, Mazurka-Caprice for Clarinet and Piano – Christine MacDonnell, clarinet; Yuliya Basis, piano
- 10 am – Panel Discussion with ICA Health and Wellness Committee
- 11 am – Video Premiere – Articulation for Clarinet: What Can We Learn from Other Woodwinds? – Eric Schultz
- 12 pm – First-Year Clarinet Curriculum: What to Teach and When to Teach it with Paula Corley
- 1 pm – ICA Enthusiasts Committee Play Along Panel with Michelle Anderson, Debbie Andrus and the ICA Enthusiasts Committee
- 2 pm – Panel: College Clarinet Life – Todd Waldecker, Cathy Wood, Wonkak Kim
- 3:30 pm – Video Premiere – Tuning Tips for Beginner Clarinetists – Catina Franklin Sweedy
- 4 pm – Lecture: Hand and Ear Training for Beginners with Michael Webster
- 5:30 pm – Amateur Clarinetists Masterclass with Jose Franch-Ballester
- 7 pm – Website Launch Party: Tutorial, giveaways, website scavenger hunt
January 31 – New Music – New Techniques
- 10 am – Lecture/Demo: Contemporary Clarinet Techniques with Selin Gürol (Turkish)
- 11 am – Video Premiere – Introduction to Traditional Klezmer Ornamentation – Dylan Lloyd
- 12 pm – Lecture/Demo: Pick Earspasm’s Brain with Michael Lowenstern
- 2 pm – Panel Lecture/Demo: New Music Committee – Learning Extended Techniques
- 3 pm – Panel Lecture/Demo: New Music Committee – Composer/Performer Collaborative Process
- 4 pm – Lecture: The Contemporary Clarinet Repertoire from New Zealand – Donald Nicholls
- 5 pm – Panel: Millennial Musicians – Laura Campbell, Vince Dominguez, Chase Miller
- 6 pm – Video Premiere – Mauro Giuliani, Gran duetto concertante Op. 52, Franz Schubert, Ständchen – Duo Diviant
- 7 pm – Lecture/Demo: Getting into Jazz with Gregory Agid
Registration is now open!
$10 for general membership
$5 for students and seniors
$75 for a virtual exhibit hall booth
Those who register will have exclusive access to all presentations and performances as they are premiered, access to the virtual exhibitor hall, and the opportunity to participate in warm-up sessions and workshops.
After registering, please visit the Virtual Conference Center to begin registering for each event.