2018 Young Artist Competition
Start an Application (select 2018 Young Artist Competition on left hand dropdown menu after clicking the link)
Download Announcement (pdf)
Eligibility: The competition is open to all clarinetists who shall not have reached the age of 27 by January 1, 2019 (i.e., born on or after January 1, 1992) and are not currently under major artist management.
Application: Deadline for the submission of application materials is Friday, April 1, 2018. Watch this space for registration information.
Young Artist Competition Coordinator: Mitchell Estrin
1. Application Fee: $65 USD. All applicants must be members of the I.C.A. and submit the Competition Application. Non-members wishing to apply may join the I.C.A. and become a member. Join now! The application fee is non-refundable.
2. Recording Instructions: Please provide a high-quality recording containing the following repertoire in the exact order listed. Repertoire must be recorded with accompaniment when appropriate. Any published edition is acceptable. Each selection/movement should be listed as a single track, and should not contain your name. Please be aware that the quality of the recording will influence the judges. Recordings should not be edited and only continuous performances of entire works or movements are allowed.
Thomas Dunhill – Phantasy Suite, Op. 91
Boosey & Hawkes
All six movements
Bart Picqueur – Sueño Andaluz for solo clarinet (2011)
Brontons & Marcadal, Barcelona
Ludwig Spohr – Concerto No. 4 in E minor for Clarinet and Orchestra
Any published edition
First movement only
NOTE: For recording, please cut from letter A to letter B (tutti section)
3. A photocopy of the contestant’s driver’s license, passport or birth certificate as proof of age.
4. Both the private teacher, if any, and the contestant attest in a separate written and signed statement that the recording is the playing of the contestant and has not been edited.
5. A summer mailing address, telephone number and email address should be provided. Email is the preferred means of communication. Please check your email regularly as this is how you will be contacted.
Judging of recordings will be conducted with no knowledge of the contestant. Do not include any identification on your audio files. There should be no speaking on the recording such as announcing of compositions.
Preliminary judging will be by recorded audition. Semi-finalists will be chosen by committee. Notification will be sent by Tuesday, May 1, 2018. Semi-final and final rounds will be held at the ClarinetFest® 2018, in Ostend, Belgium, July 6-11, 2018. Semi-finalists will receive a waiver of registration fees for ClarinetFest® 2018. Travel and other expenses will be the responsibility of the contestant. Visa and travel arrangements are solely the responsibility of the contestant.
Repertoire for the semi-final and final rounds of competition will consist of selections from the works listed above. A pianist will be provided for competitors in the semi-final and final rounds. Memorization is not required. All contestants will accept the decision of the judges as final. Past first-prize winners are not eligible to compete.
All recordings will become the property of the I.C.A.
First prize – $2,500 USD and a professional clarinet to be announced
Second prize – $1,000 USD
Third prize – $500 USD
The Young Artist Competition is generously sponsored in part by The Buffet Group, D’Addario Woodwinds, Henri Selmer Paris, Yamaha Corporation, and Royal Musical Instruments
The International Clarinet Association assumes no tax liability that competition winners may incur through receiving prize money. Individuals are responsible for investigating applicable tax laws and reporting prize winnings to requisite government agencies.