2021 High School Solo Competition
Applications will open later this year.
Start an Application (select 2021 High School Competition on left hand dropdown menu after clicking the link)
Download Announcement (PNG)
Eligibility: Competition participants must be 18 years old or younger as of June 30, 2021.
Application: Deadline for the submission of application and other application materials is: April 1, 2021.
High School Solo Competition Coordinator: Kimberly Cole Luevano – Kimberly.Luevano@unt.edu
To submit a proposal, send the following:
1. Application Fee: $75 USD. All applicants must be members of the I.C.A. and submit the Competition Application. Non-members wishing to apply may join the I.C.A. and become a member. Join now! The application fee is non-refundable.
2. Recording Instructions: Please provide a high quality recording containing the following repertoire in the exact order listed. Repertoire must be recorded with accompaniment when appropriate. Any published edition is acceptable. Each selection/movement should be listed as a single track, and should not contain your name. Please be aware that the quality of the recording will influence the judges. Recordings should not be edited and only continuous performances of entire works or movements are allowed.
Set for Clarinet by Katherine Hoover (movements 2 and 3 only)
Sonatina, Op. 29 by Malcolm Arnold
3. A photocopy of the contestant’s driver’s license, passport or birth certificate as proof of age.
4. Both the private teacher, if any, and the contestant attest, in a separate written and signed statement that the recording is the playing of the contestant and has not been edited.
5. A summer address, telephone number and e-mail address should be provided. E-mail is the preferred means of communication. Please check your email regularly as this is how you will be contacted.
Judging of recordings will be conducted with no knowledge of the contestant. Do not include any identification on your audio files. There should be no speaking on the recording, such as announcing of compositions. Preliminary judging will be by taped audition. Finalists will be chosen by committee. Notification will be sent by May 1, 2021. The final round will be held at ClarinetFest® 2021 in Fort Worth, Texas June 30-July 3, 2021. Repertoire will consist of the works listed above. Memorization for the final round of competition is not required.
Past first-prize winners are not eligible to compete. All contestants will accept the decision of the judges as final. The ICA will provide a pianist for all finalists. All finalists will receive free registration at ClarinetFest® 2021. Travel and other expenses will be the responsibility of the contestant. All recordings will become the property of the ICA and will not be returned.
First Prize: $1,000 U.S.
Second Prize: $750 U.S.
Third Prize: $500 U.S.
The International Clarinet Association assumes no tax liability that competition winners may incur through receiving prize money. Individuals are responsible for investigating applicable tax laws and reporting prize winnings to requisite government agencies. In accordance with U.S. tax law, a 30% tax on the total amount of prize winnings will be withheld and submitted to the United States Internal Revenue Service if the winner is a non-U.S. resident. Prize money will be given in the form of a U.S. check or an electronic PayPal transfer. PayPal transfers must be requested prior to the final awards ceremony on the final evening of ClarinetFest®.