The ICA seeks previously unperformed works for clarinet and string quartet (2 violins, viola and cello), 10-15 min. in length. The deadline is December 20, 2018; the winner will receive a $1000 prize and a performance of the work at ClarinetFest® 2019.
For details, please contact Antonio Faioli, coordinator.
2019 Composition Competition–Clarinet and String Quartet (2 violins, viola and cello)
Antonio Fraioli, Coordinator Email: email@example.com
Eligibility: The competition is open to composers, clarinetists, and musicians who desire to further the repertoire of clarinet and string quartet with an original composition.
1. Items must be received by December 20, 2018.
2. Applicants should email the Competition Coordinator, Antonio Fraioli <firstname.lastname@example.org> and ask for a Dropbox “File Request” link. Upon receipt of this link, applicant will upload related files
3. The subject line for all email communication should read “ICA Composition Competition” followed by the applicant’s full name.
4. Scores must be submitted electronically (PDF only) WITHOUT the applicant’s name or any identifying information on the score or in the filename. Scores must be submitted to the “File Request” Dropbox link obtained from the coordinator in item 2.
5. In a separate PDF document, include contact information (name, address, phone, website, and email), a short bio (100 words or less) and name of submitted work(s). Include the applicant’s name in document filename. (this information will not be viewed by the jury).
6. A midi recording in .mp3 format or a clarinet and string quartet recording in .mp3 format must be submitted.
- Application fee: $35 US. Make amount payable to the “International Clarinet Association” in U.S. currency by bank check, money order, or credit card only and send to 829 Bethel Rd #216, Columbus, OH 43214, USA. If paying by credit card, please use the credit card payment form. PayPal is also accepted to email@example.com. The application fee is non-refundable.
- The 2019 Composition Competition call is for a work 10-15 minutes in length, scored for clarinet and string quartet (2 violins, viola and cello). The submitted work must have no prior performances.
A committee having no knowledge of the applicant will conduct the judging of scores and parts. Do not include any identification on the scores and on the .mp3 realization. The winner will be notified via email by February 15, 2019. The winning composition will receive a world premiere performance during ClarinetFest® 2019, July 24-28, 2019, in Knoxville, Tennessee. Travel expenses will be the responsibility of the winner. Free registration at ClarinetFest® 2019 will be provided. If the winner is a clarinetist, he/she must be a member of the I.C.A. Past first-prize winners are not eligible to compete. All contestants will accept the decision of the judges as final. The ICA will provide the clarinetist for the premiere performance.
All scores and parts will become the property of the ICA Research Center at the University of Maryland Performing Arts Library and will not be returned.
The International Clarinet Association assumes no tax liability that competition winners may incur through receiving prize money. Individuals are responsible for investigating applicable tax laws and reporting prize winnings to requisite government agencies. In accordance with U.S. tax law, a 30% tax on the total amount of prize winnings will be withheld and submitted to the United States Internal Revenue Service if the winner is a non-U.S. resident. Prize money will be given in the form of a U.S. check or an electronic PayPal transfer. PayPal transfers must be requested prior to the final awards ceremony on the final evening of ClarinetFest®.