How to Attract a Larger Audience on your Social Media Platforms
By Jenny Maclay (www.jennyclarinet.com)
Building a target audience of people who are interested in your music is crucial to using social media to help boost your career as a musician. Sometimes social media can feel like a giant popularity contest, and while numbers alone don’t indicate authority, having a large dedicated audience will help you promote your musical endeavors.
- Create a theme and don’t stray from your aesthetic. If you want to attract fellow musicians, most of your posts should be related to music. If you are posting a lot of cat memes and food pictures, it can be confusing for viewers and detract traffic from your platform, so make sure there is a focused and cohesive theme.
- Post regularly. As with practicing, consistency is key. You should be posting new content several times a week to build an audience and maintain their attention.
- Don’t get discouraged. Building a dedicated and targeted audience takes time. Continue posting quality content and interacting with both existing followers and similar channels.
- Increase engagement rate. Make sure you regularly interact with your audience. Reply to comments, respond to messages, and engage with other channels to build an interactive community on your social media.
- Aesthetics are important, but so are captions. Some social media platforms like Instagram rely heavily on visuals, but don’t skimp on the captions. Captions can be a great outlet for sharing advice, research, opinions, thoughts, and stories to help supplement photos and videos.
- Achieve a balance between original and shared content. If you mostly share or repost other content, your feed will come off as a bit spammy. It’s fine to promote other pages, but make sure you balance this with your own content.