The Department of Music and Dance at the University of Massachusetts Amherst invites applications for a faculty position in STUDIO CLARINET. This is a full-time nine-month tenure-track position at the Assistant Professor level to begin on September 1, 2018.
- Teach applied clarinet lessons to undergraduate and graduate music majors and minors. Additional teaching responsibilities may include overseeing beginning clarinet techniques class for music education majors and chamber music coaching. Assignment will depend on the candidate’s areas of expertise and the needs of the department.
- Maintain national and regional visibility as a performer/pedagogue as part of professional development.
- Participate in on-campus faculty performances.
- Advise undergraduate and graduate students, participate in auditions, serve on committees, and perform other university and professional service as appropriate.
- Applicant must be willing and available to address responsibilities during the regular work week and on weekends, as needed.
- Recruiting activities may include visiting secondary schools, offering workshops, participating in summer programs, and adjudicating.
- Doctorate or master’s degree in clarinet performance preferred.
- Equivalent professional experience considered.
- Potential for or an already established national reputation as a clarinetist.
- Evidence of excellence in teaching as well as a high potential for recruiting at the university level.
- Ability to work effectively within the department.
Salary is commensurate with the rank of assistant professor, and the University offers an attractive benefits package.
To apply, please submit 1) a cover letter, 2) a curriculum vitae, 3) links, preferably through YouTube and in a separate document, to high quality audio and/or video recordings of performances (please include dates of performances), and 4) list of three current referees with full contact information including valid email addresses.
Submit all application items to:
Review of applications will begin October 31, 2017 and continue until the position is filled.
Additional supporting materials may be requested from finalists. Application materials will not be returned.
The university is committed to active recruitment of a diverse faculty and student body. The University of Massachusetts Amherst is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer of women, minorities, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities and encourages applications from these and other protected group members. Because broad diversity is essential to an inclusive climate and critical to the University’s goals of achieving excellence in all areas, we will holistically assess the many qualifications of each applicant and favorably consider an individual’s record working with students and colleagues with broadly diverse perspectives, experiences, and backgrounds in educational, research or other work activities. We will also favorably consider experience overcoming or helping others overcome barriers to an academic degree and career.
We are seeking talented applicants qualified for an assistant professor position. Under exceptional circumstances, highly qualified candidates at other ranks may receive consideration.